Different Ethnic Groups of NepalBook Now
Nepal is a country with diverse ethnic groups, cultures, religions and traditions. There are different ethnic groups that reside in a specific region of Nepal. To list a few:
- Bahun/ Chhetri: Bahun & Chhetri comprises the largest population of Nepal. In ancient times, they were recognized as high-caste people.
- Newar: Newars are the inhabitants of the Kathmandu Valley and all the surrounding areas since ancient times. They have a very rich tradition, culture, costumes, music, art, food and festivals.
- Tamang: Tamangs are one of the largest ethnic groups mostly residing in the eastern segment of Nepal.
- Tharu: Tharu people mainly reside in the lower belt of Nepal, i.e. terai region. They have a pretty unique culture, tradition and lifestyle. Even today, tourists from all over the world come to explore the Tharu culture of Nepal.
- Sherpa: The Sherpas are the ethnic groups mainly residing in the mountain region of Nepal. They are well-known around the world for their mountaineering skills and their expertise in high-altitude climbing.
The above-mentioned ethnic groups are just a few examples of the diverse ethnic groups in Nepal. There are even more communities with their own unique culture, traditions and lifestyle.